We outlined key issues and suggested improvements to the health service complaints system in our Submission on the Performance of Queensland’s Health Ombudsman.
In June 2016 a Queensland Parliamentary Inquiry into the performance of the Health Ombudsman’s functions was conducted. Through the inquiry, the committee also considered:
- the operation of the health service complaints management system
- ways the health service complaints management system could be improved
- the performance of the Health Ombudsman’s legislative functions
- review the National Boards’ and National Agency’s performance of their functions relating to the health, conduct and performance of registered health practitioners who provide health services in Queensland
- any other matter about the health service complaints management system.
Submission on the health complaints system
We made a submission to the Inquiry focusing on ways the health service complaints management system might be improved from the perspective of people with mental health and alcohol and other drug issues.
Our submission drew on feedback received from people with direct experience regarding the complaints system and its accessibility.
Final report into Health Ombudsman’s functions
The Parliamentary Inquiry concluded in December 2016 with the tabling of its final report into the Health Ombudsman’s functions.